Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Give Me the Simple Life!

Dear Readers,

A happy and blessed day to you~Again we have been blessed with new life, a new day to treasure, to use for good or ill.



Our computer experienced a virus last week, causing a few days of shut-down, which were actually quite restful! Is there a way to set a computer to shut off for a few days every month? Now we are back, and hope to share something of use to you.



If you've followed this blog for a while, you know that I am constantly trying to simplify my life, to get back to the bare minimum, and not be bogged down by material things. This month, I'd like to invite you to come with me on a "cleanse", so to speak, of material things.


Let's go through all the clothing that takes up space in our closet, but we never wear for one reason or another, and either donate it or put it in our rag bag for future use.


Let's get out all of those projects that we've started, but are now scattered here and there. Let's put them in one spot (A camelback trunk would be nice!), so they're easy to get to, and save them till after the holiday rush (Or, where applicable, make Christmas presents out of them). Now, how many of these projects are we really going to finish? How many have been given to us by others, and we are just keeping them for fear of offending someone? Let's find a hospice, nursing home, or other charitable organization that would love to have something to keep someone's hands busy!

While we're at it, let's go through those books and magazines that we've not gotten around to looking at for. . . how many years now? Let's give them to a homeschooling family, a library, or again a nursing home or charitable place of refuge. Our family has given away so many books to our local library that I think they must consider closing early when they see us coming!

Now, the videos and music~when are we ever going to get around to watching or listening to them all? Let's give them to the library or hospital, they would love it (And you could always go check them out sometime if you gave them to the library-let THEM do the storing!).

Let's get down to the treasures, the ones that we reach for when we need a rest, those that feed our hungry souls. Let's make a beautiful shelving area for them, or cabinet, and put them there. Let's see if those few are not enough for us, and how many others we can do without.


I love the quote from Simple Abundance, "All I have is all I really need." It is so hard to be content in this world, with a daily deluge of catalogs and sales flyers, and temptations so abundant at every store. Sometimes I envy (In a good way!) the Amish and their limited choices. What freedom! Let's see how we feel after being rid of as many extra possessions as we can!


May I learn to truly limit myself, before I spend money, time, and energy on acquiring something that might keep me a little further from Heaven.

Happy cleansing!

~Marqueta

"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." ~Matthew 6:19-21

4 comments:

  1. Dear Marqueta,

    I enjoyed your beautiful photos and thank you for sharing your thoughts about simple living! I was very encouraged and blessed!
    Have a lovely weekend! Love, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Marqueta,

    So good to see you back! I love your photos. I, too, admire the Amish. No clutter and what a simple and beautiful life. As far as the computer, I "unplug" one day a week and don't even think about it. Wishing you a blessed Sunday!
    Selia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear mami i love you mami
    Give me the simple life is so funny because it the name of the song to
    you are so lovely

    love tasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mami,
    It Was Fun To Go See The Leaves!!!
    I Love You And I Like You!!!
    Love,
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit — I look forward to hearing from you!