Saturday, February 18, 2017

Late Winter/ Early Spring Wild Edibles

Dear Friends,

Our weather here in Missouri has been very mild and dry lately; we have even seen mosquitoes about, and honeybees trying to get to the honey in our house!

The wild greens are starting to pop up all over the yard; they especially appreciate the warm environment of this cold frame, planted in arugula.


The chickweed has been lying low all winter, and the chickens pointed out this fresh growth to me the other day.






Wild garlic and birdseye speedwell (Veronica persica) are up and at 'em (the speedwell is the lower green plant, with tiny blue flowers). Garlic is of course familiar, but the tiny speedwell is a wonderful little herb full of vitamins and worth chopping and adding to salads or smoothies.


Purple Dead Nettle (Lamium purpurea) grows profusely in gardens and fields as well, although it doesn't have its pretty little blooms yet. It has a very earthy flavor that tastes good in savory dishes. It is also traditionally used for easing excessive menstrual flow and menstrual cramps. A good plant to befriend if you're a female!

Image may contain: plant, outdoor and nature

Ground Ivy tries diligently to take over my front flower bed every year, giving me lots of plant matter to use as I weed it out! It is great dried and used in teas, or fresh in smoothies. It is said to chelate heavy metals from the body, which is a plus in this toxic day and age!

Image may contain: plant, outdoor and nature

I hope you enjoyed this little weed tour of our yard this time of year, and I hope that I've encouraged you to try putting wild greens into your diet this year. Just make very sure you have a correct ID! If you see something that you're not sure about, take a picture of it and email it to me, and I'll see if I can help figure it out for you.

Love,

Marqueta

6 comments:

  1. Be careful what you write, Marqueta! Your inbox might be flooded with pictures from me of the various weeds in my yard once the snow melts! Maybe once you are settled into your farm, you can have an herbal workshop and I can come.

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marqueta, how wonderful that spring has arrived early. Thank you for all the plant information! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post - love foraging for greens for the table. Enjoyed the video, too.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your natural grass-cutter (chickens). And I like learning of the "weeds" that are edible. Your pictures are very helpful. Looks very springy at your house! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phyllis is doing a great job! xoxo Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weeds, the first to arrive and the last to leave! I always liken the nettle to heather, it looks so beautiful on a hill when in bloom. We call the ground ivy, Creeping Charlie and I wrestle it every year from choking out the gardens. But I love it in the lawn, as the scent is ever so fresh when you step upon it or cut the grass.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit — I look forward to hearing from you!