Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A New Year Begins


Dear Friends,

I guess I'd better finish my New Year's post, since January is already half over with! I'm good at sticking pictures on my blog and leaving them for a week or two until I have time to type something.

We had a New Year's Eve "good riddance" party bonfire 31 December. We write down everything we regret about the past year (things we did or didn't do that we wish we hadn't or had), then burn them in the backyard. Since we don't have a fireplace in our home, we love every chance we have to smell wood smoke!


On New Year's Day Evangeline, Rebecca, and I took a walk in the woods by our house and found this deer skull, robin's nest made with grape cluster stems, and branch with tiny white shelf mushrooms, for our nature shelf. They speak of birth, death, and eternal renewal.


Hyrum just keeps getting bigger and cuter, expressing himself with his eyebrows. His "real" hair has grown in now, complete with Widow's Peak hairline.


The family "Rapunzel Club" keeps expanding, with Evangeline's hair getting just about as long as everyone else's~


Frankie has been keeping busy making duct tape armor and trying to find victims to sword fight with (He can scarcely wait until Hyrum is big enough to assail him)~



We love the feeling of starting over that a new year gives us, but most especially we love each new day that we are here together at home, seeking to better ourselves and to speak more love into each others' hearts. Life is such a precious blessing, and such a fleeting thing. May we truly appreciate the gift that it is!

Love and blessings to you all,

Marqueta

***************************************

Ode on Solitude

By Alexander Pope
 
 
Happy the man, whose wish and care
   A few paternal acres bound,
Content to breathe his native air,
                            In his own ground.

Whose herds with milk, whose fields with bread,
   Whose flocks supply him with attire,
Whose trees in summer yield him shade,
                            In winter fire.

Blest, who can unconcernedly find
   Hours, days, and years slide soft away,
In health of body, peace of mind,
                            Quiet by day,

Sound sleep by night; study and ease,
   Together mixed; sweet recreation;
And innocence, which most does please,
                            With meditation.

Thus let me live, unseen, unknown;
   Thus unlamented let me die;
Steal from the world, and not a stone
                            Tell where I lie.




6 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Marqueta! Your little man is growing so fast! He is just adorable! I love the girls hair - so beautiful! It sounds like you are having a lovely start to the new year! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what joy...he looks just adorable :0) And the length of the hair...amazing! Feliz Ano mi amiga...que Dios te bendiga :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Rapunzel Club" I love tha....May I be apart of your club? My hair has been growing out for three years now...its getting fairly long :) My oldest daughter was sitting on her hair at age 13...it was so long and very thick. Your sweet brood is looking beautiful,and baby boy is growing in leaps and bounds already...before you know it he will be up and running playing with big brother......blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little Hyrum is certainly growing! How lovely everyone's hair looks! I love the poem. Such sweet sentiments! Sounds like you all are off to a lovely beginning of the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling girls, I must join your Rapunzel club, my hair is now 6 inches past my waist, and I am 60 years old! Am I too old to join? We here in the Hollow just know you will have a promising new year ahead, because you are all so full of energy, creativity and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful locks. Down the road your girls will look back on the photograph of the Rapunzel Club and exchange a knowing chuckle. My girls, age 30 and 28, still cringe at cutting their hair. I wonder where they get it from?

    Dragons are mysterious and lend themselves to all sorts of adventure in the imaginative child. Cool, I like the purple.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit — I look forward to hearing from you!