Monday, August 25, 2014

Wild Abundance

Dear Friends,

I recently had the opportunity to teach a class on wild edibles to some ladies from church. I had a fun time teaching, and I hope that I inspired at least some to go out and partake of the wild goodness around us.


I made pine needle popsicles and dock leaf pesto, which everyone loved. I shall have to write out recipes next time!





















I am working on a sketchbook of wild edibles for the Kansas City area, which is coming along at a snail's pace. So many books to write, so little time!


There is always something new to learn about the world around us, and always surprises coming up in the garden. This "mystery plant" has turned out to be Evening Primrose, which is exciting, since I've wanted to grow it for some time, but never did (or so I thought). I guess the fairies must have been busy helping!


We are busily feeding about 20 Monarch caterpillars, plus a few other caterpillars (question mark, giant swallowtail, and black swallowtail). This Tiger Swallowtail was just passing by, since we don't have the kind of food its caterpillars like (yet). The two tropical milkweed plants I overwintered in my kitchen windowsill last year have been a great investment.


AnnaMarie and Audrey have started up their early morning scripture class at our church again (it runs 9 months out of the year), so they will have the opportunity of seeing many beautiful sunrises, such as these below. I am sure that they will learn many wonderful new things while growing spiritually as well.



Love to all,

Marqueta
''Give fools their gold, and knaves their power;
Let fortune's bubbles rise and fall;
Who sows a field, or trains a flower,
Or plants a tree, is more than all.'' 

~John Greenleaf Whittier

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience!! I would love to take a class with you :) ~very nice drawings as well ~you are just one super talented lady!! ~Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marqueta Dear! This looks like a marvelous time!!
    I would have been there in a heart beat if I only lived closer!!
    Blessings Love and Hugs, Linnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Marqueta, this looks like a wonderful talk and I love all your drawings. I have been looking at your lovely summer posts and seeing your beautiful flowers. You seem to have had an enjoyable time all summer with your friends and family. Summer outdoors in the garden and fun with the children, a happy home. Loved your butterflies, how gorgeous to watch them grow from caterpillars. It was so nice to find you had visited. And I enjoyed visiting you.
    Have fun. Millyx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lucky ladies to have the opportunity to attend your lecture! Those pine needle popsicles sound intriguing. Perhaps some day you'll make a video for Youtube on it? Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could have gotten in on that class :) I'm slowly learning about foraging. Blessings dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Marqueta,

    Wish I had been there! Looks like lots of fun and learning to be had every day at the Graham cottage! And I am sure there is a lot of love and birdsong as well!

    Love you!!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very worthwhile thing it is to pass on your herb knowledge. Most folks really have no idea the wealth of healing and nutrition right at their feet free for the taking. Just another way where God's blessings and mercy can go unnoticed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit — I look forward to hearing from you!