Monday, August 11, 2008

Work, Sweet Work

Hello, Dear Readers,

Being that it's Monday, and the beginning of a new work week, I'd like to share one of my favorite poems from Louisa May Alcott, entitled "A Song From the Suds".

I liked it so much that I wrote out three of the verses on my laundry room doors (I guess I haven't gotten over the habit of scribbling on the walls!).


"A Song From the Suds"


Queen of my tub, I merrily sing, While the white foam raises high,
And sturdily wash, and rinse, and wring, And fasten the clothes to dry;
Then out in the free fresh air they swing, Under the sunny sky.

I wish we could wash from our hearts and our souls The stains of the week away,
And let water and air by their magic make Ourselves as pure as they;
Then on the earth there would be indeed A glorious washing day!


Along the path of a useful life Will heart's-ease ever bloom;
The busy mind has no time to think Of sorrow, or care, or gloom;
And anxious thoughts may be swept away As we busily wield a broom.




I am glad a task to me is given To labor at day by day;
For it brings me health, and strength, and hope, And I cheerfully learn to say—
"Head, you may think; heart, you may feel; But hand, you shall work always!"


May we always remember that work is indeed a blessing, and that life would be very boring (and miserable) without it!

Love,

Marqueta


p.s. I have lots of these sunflowers that have reseeded from last year's plants. If anyone is interested in some seeds, just let me know and I'll send some out to you!


2 comments:

  1. Dearest Marqueta;

    The poem is so lovely! And yes, I would like some of those seeds if you don't mind. The sunflower with the red in it :0)

    blessings,

    mari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, mari!

    I noticed that the goldfinches have been helping to dispense with the seeds, so I'll have to put bags on the heads I want to keep. I actually have two kinds of red-faced sunflowers, one has a single flower, and the other has multiple flowers. Which would you like (I'll save some from both just in case.)?
    If you'll email me your address, I'll get those out to you as soon as they're dry.

    Blessed day,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit — I look forward to hearing from you!