Saturday, May 2, 2009

Let All Thy Joys. . .


"Let all thy joys be as the month of May,
And all thy days be as a marriage day."
~Francis Quarles

(Wedding performed by AnnaMarie)
Dear Reader,

Thank you for coming by today, and for your continued friendship; we hope you're enjoying a pleasant weekend with those whom you love.

It's raining again here, so we're glad we were able to plant the carrot, radish, fennel, and kohlrabi seeds that we did this morning! At least we won't have to water anything for a bit, which we usually do, this time of year.

We will have to re-enact our May Pole from yesterday, since we were a little rusty and required some coaxing and cajoling to stay with the performance until it was done.

The girls have been busy at their art lately. As much as we love Cicely Mary Barker's fairies, we feel that our native plants should have representatives, as well. So Audrey and I made a rhyme and a picture (Audrey did the pictures) of some our favorite "owie" plants, goat-heads and tumbleweeds. The romantic aspect of going barefoot and bare-handed while gardening loses its appeal when we encounter these fairies on a daily basis!

"The goat-head fairy wears a ferny-green gown,
Which is pretty and soft, but she wears a sharp crown."

"The tumbleweed fairy is coming our way.
Although she is lovely, I don't think she'll stay,
For when the wind blows she'll go rolling away."

Meanwhile, AnnaMarie showed an adept hand at re-creating some of the costumes of PBS's recent showing of Dickens' "Little Dorrit". Here she portrays Fanny, Little Dorrit's floozy of a sister:

One of the funnest things about being a mother is getting to explore all the girl-friendly aspects of growing up with close sisters, which is something I missed out on when I was little. All I drew or thought about on an ongoing basis was horses, horses, and more horses! I guess it could have been worse.

Mister Graham and my mum are busy working on shelves for our china in the kitchen right now (Dad taught Mom everything she knows!), so I guess we'd better go lend a hand in the process. We'll let you know how it turns out!

A blessed Sabbath to you, tomorrow, too.

Love,

Marqueta

5 comments:

  1. Querida Marqueta;

    Que felicidad que las ninas tienen tanto talento para el dibujo!

    Que bien que pudistes sembrar todas esas semillas. Aqui, todavia, no hemos sembrando...la temperatura baja mucho. En Junio, ya veremos lo que podemos sembrar.

    Que Dios the bendiga...

    Lady M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marqueta!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog to say hello! I see your comments on my mom's blog, too, and took a peek around yours. I just love the sweet sepia picture as your header (I'm assuming those are your little ones) and we are also fans of the flower fairies!

    Blessings to you and your family,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. What creative verses and accompanying illustrations! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DEAR MAMA,
    I LIKE THE POST!
    I LOVE YOU AND I LIKE YOU!!!!!
    LOVE,
    AUDREY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marqueta, I love those illustrations. Your quotation for the day is very nice as well. I want to see the shelves when they are done!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit — I look forward to hearing from you!