Monday, April 18, 2011

~Serendipity~

Dear Friends,

Thank you for the birthday wishes! I wish I could give all of you a big squeezy hug! :) I had to laugh looking at my last post today~ Right after I posted we discovered a flood in our basement from a broken pipe, creating quite the scamper! It was yet another "Little House" moment; Laura would have been proud of us as we handed the towels down the line to sop up and then wring out for more sopping (or is it swabbing?)! We were ever so thankful for our water storage, which we put to use the next day until the plumber could come make repairs.

Now we just have to wait for the septic cleaner to empty the tank, as the flooding caused a stinky backup in the basement~ peeeeewww! Laura would have been grateful she had outdoor plumbing as a girl. :)

I had to share with you my little story of serendipity~ I found a book about Marjolein Bastin (the Dutch artist) in our local library last week, and discovered that she has a home just north of Kansas City. Her book was so inspiring to me that I felt like we should drive by and see if we could visit, or at least see her prairie land that she is restoring. The next day I found a soap dispenser with her artwork on it at the local thrift store, and then my mother-in-law gave me a birthday present in a Marjolein Bastin gift bag that matches exactly! Someone is trying to tell me something, I think!



We have been enjoying warmer weather today, which has been nice, since we thought it might freeze our garden a couple of nights ago. Yesterday we discovered a humongous patch of wild garlic that would be big enough to share with all of you~ pesto, anyone? We are loving all of the surprises popping all over, and hope that you are making lots of new discoveries, too.

Love,

Marqueta

8 comments:

  1. I also discovered wild garlic here in my garden...it keeps coming back year after year :-)

    Sorry about the septic tank...those things do happen :(

    Love,

    Mrs. M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes sorry to hear about the messy leak :( but Hooray for finding that wonderful local artist!! And Wow about the Garlic that is a wonderful find!! ~Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Marqueta~
    I love your sweet Marjolein Bastin goodies! I have a teapot with that same design! I also have a little gardening journal by her (a gift from a sweet daughter, years ago!) I love her work ~ a bit like Edith Holden's work, don't you think?
    Enjoy all those new discoveries ~ makes every day an adventure!
    ;~}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like we're on the same page, wish-wise! ;) That is rather amazing, the match between the bag and and tea pot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, I must give your husband credit for the job he did in choosing flowers for you! Wow! "Good-on-'im!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love your Marjolein Bastin soap dispenser and gift bag, the colours are just perfect. I hadn't heard of this artist so immediately found out more about her online and will definitely look for her work here in the UK. 'The birthday flood'.... what bad luck Marqueta but you all pulled through and it will be a birthday you'll always remember!! As for Laura..... as you say, she was ever resourceful and I reckon she'd have become a plumber or something similar if she'd lived in the 21st century. Wishing you all a Peaceful Eastertide. Eli x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your mess gets cleaned up quickly. I have several books by Marjolein Bastin, she's how I found out about ground ivy. Wonderful illustrator! Finding wild garlic is wonderful. I planted some last fall and it peeked up through the snow, but now it has disappeared. I wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marjolein Bastin is one of my favorite artists, I have been collecting her calenders and cards for many years, and find her art such an inspiration in my own endeavors. How lovely if you could visit her!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit — I look forward to hearing from you!