Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Blessings of "Counter Culture"


"For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:"
~Colossians 1:16

Dear Reader,

We have been enjoying some "end of winter blahs"-beating movies and books lately, which have made us truly grateful that there are people out there willing to make lovely, godly movies which make us forget the evil times in which we live.

Some of our favorites have been the following:


Miss Potter


The Secret Garden


Christy


Wives and Daughters


These movies (And books) all seem to have something in common: a love of the outdoors and/or drawing!

We have been learning from a book called "Keeping a Nature Journal: Discover a Whole New Way of Seeing the World Around You" , by Clare Walker Leslie and Charles E. Roth. This book is a great addition to any library to help instill a love of life-long journaling, and being close to the Lord's creations. One does not have to be a great artist to jot down a few notes about the weather, birds at the feeder, etc. and sketch something wherever they go.

Tasha and AnnaMarie have been inspired to examine various and sundry items under the microscope and record them in their notebooks (Without my suggesting it, wow!).

"Hmmm, let's try cat hair!"

Drawings of magnified objects
Now, if we could get Frankie interested in something besides plugging in every electrical cord he can find around the house, before he electrocutes himself!


Thank you for stopping by, and may you have a beautiful day!

Love,

Marqueta

*******************************************************************

"The innocent brightness of a new-born Day
Is lovely yet;
The Clouds that gather round the setting sun
Do take a sober colouring from an eye
That hath kept watch o'er man's mortality;
Another race hath been, and other palms are won.
Thanks to the human heart by which we live,
Thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears,
To me the meanest flower that blows can give
Thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears."

~William Wordsworth

10 comments:

  1. Dear Mama,
    I Like All Of The Movies, Books, And Pictures:)I Like The "Keeping A Nature Journal: Discover A Whole New Way Of Seeing The World Around You" Book!:) Tasha And Annamarie Like To Look At Things In The Microscope, I Can Tell:)
    I Love You And I Like You!!!!!
    Love,
    Audrey
    P.S.
    I LikeThe Scripture, It Is Very Nice:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Marqueta,

    We have that book and those movies too, and enjoy them all so much!!! I love movies with nature journaling and nature walks in them. It is so wonderful to see! I have read, in the Victorian times, that nature study was very popular and enjoyed by many ladies, and no doubt gentlemen too.

    I love the photos of your children! It looks like your Valentines Day was wonderful. Like you we enjoy celebrating together as a family. You and your husband make a handsome and happy couple!

    Thank you so much for the beautiful anniversary card you sent. You are so sweet to remember! Adam and I both appreciate it and all the sweet little red hearts.
    Love, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. MARQUETA,I LOVE YOUR BLOG!I PLAN TO VISIT AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE YOUR BLOG.I WILL VISIT AGAIN SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marqueta,
    Love those movies, too. And love the idea of nature journaling.(flowers, birds and other nature) I haven't tried it yet, but may. Last year I wanted to start a photo nature journal, but after taking an entire roll of film and taking it in to be developed (old camera) found that there was nothing on the film. I was so dissappointed, I gave up on that idea.
    I was very in to " a Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady" at that time. I still love the book and movie, just not wanting to take pictures now.
    What does a cat's hair look like under a microscope? :~P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mama,
    I Like The Post!!:)
    I Love You And I Like You!!!!
    Love,
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marqueta, thank you for the inspiration to continue studying nature! I love the pictures of your children and the way your writing is so encouraging. I just love visiting your blog.

    Have a lovely Friday!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mama,
    I Like The Post, It Is Very Nice!!
    I Like All The Posts That You Did, They Are All Very Nice!!!!!:) What Is Your Favorite Post That You Ever Did? I Like All Of Them, And Cannot Choose A Favorite!!!!!:) I Love All Of Your Posts, Especially This One!!:) Frankie Is Cute When He Is Playing With Cords!!!!! I Like All The Pictures! I Like To Do Things In My Nature Journal, It Is Very Fun!!:)
    I Love You And I Like You!!!!!!!!!!
    Love,
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  9. dear mama.
    i love you soooooooooooooo much
    love
    ~tasha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone, for your sweet comments!

    Welcome to the blog, Faye! I hope you have been blessed by your visit.

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit — I look forward to hearing from you!