Thursday, February 12, 2009

We Take Our Hats Off (Er, on?) Today To. . .









Happy 200th Birthday, Mr. Lincoln!




Dear Reader,

May we all stop to remember and honor one of the greatest men our nation has ever known, on this historic day. How sad and shameful that this day is no longer remembered as a national holiday, and that Lincoln means no more to most people than the face on a coin. Let us seek to re-gain the feelings of indebtedness that we should all have for those who have made our freedom possible!

Love,

Marqueta

"Let us have faith that right makes might; and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it." ~Abraham Lincoln

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life."
~Abraham Lincoln

"God is the silent partner in all great enterprises." ~Abraham Lincoln

5 comments:

  1. I had to laugh right out loud ~ that picture of the chicken did it!
    Too funny!
    Lincoln is my favorite person in all history (except Jesus Christ.)
    Yes, he is to be honored.
    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for popping into the Flutterby Patch Marqueta, its always nice to get returning visitors. Your father's articles are beautifully observed and written, I'm sure he will have passed his talents on to you and his grandchildren. Love the hen by the way, as Abe Lincoln. I'm amazed it was happy to pose for so long with tall hat on its head. A well trained hen that's for sure! Eli

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a lovely little book called _The Soul of Ann Rutledge_. It was written in the early 1900's and is the story of his supposed first love who died of typhoid. The book was controversial at the time and still might be, but the story was beautiful, just beautiful. I found especially sweet the story of a young girl whom he saved from an abusive father. If you could ever find it, do read it. I don't know if it's rare, but it is old. I found an early edition tucked away in the belongings of my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mama,
    I Like The Post, And The Pictures Are Nice ,Too!!The Animals Look Very Funny In The Hats!!:)They Are So Funny!!!;)
    I Like How You Made The Hats,They Are Very Good--How Did You Make Them?
    I Didn't Know That It Was His 200th Birth-Day!!!!
    I Love You And I Like You!!!!!!!!!!
    Love,
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mama,
    I love you and i like you,
    And I like your blog, it is very nice!!:)
    Love,
    Audrey:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit — I look forward to hearing from you!